TikTok Statistics You Need To Know In 2023
TikTok is one of the most popular social media platforms with 1.06 billion active users spread across 160 countries. TikTok initially launched in China in 2016 when it was referred to as Douyin; the main boost happened in 2017 when Bytedance decided to roll the app out of the Chinese market to serve other countries, including the United States which now has 150 million TikTok users.
So how do you go about planning your marketing strategy? Well, it starts here. Our statistical post gives you the most updated insights on TikTok’s demographics, financials, and trends for 2023.
TikTok Top User Statistics for 2023
- TikTok has over 1.677 billion users globally in 2023
- 1.1 billions users are monthly active users
- TikTok listed revenues of $2.475 Billion in Q1 of 2023
- TikTok’s user base is 53% Female and 46% Male
- Over 1 Billion videos are watched on TikTok everyday
- Over 5 Million Brands are listed on TikTok
- TikTok ads can reach over 885 Million users over 18 on TikTok
How old is TikTok?
TikTok just turned 7, with it’s anniversary in September 2023 marking six years since its inception.
The journey began in 2016 when ByteDance, a Chinese corporation, introduced a short-form video app named Douyin for the Chinese audience. In 2017, the global audience was introduced to TikTok, thanks to the initiative of ByteDance’s founder, Zhang Yiming. The platform’s rapid ascent in the realm of social media is nothing short of remarkable.
A glimpse into TikTok’s journey:
- September 2016: ByteDance unveils Douyin in China.
- September 2017: The global introduction of TikTok occurs.
- November 2017: A merger with Musical.ly broadens TikTok’s user base and feature set.
- 2018: A surge in popularity makes TikTok one of the top downloaded apps globally.
- June 29, 2020: India imposes a ban on TikTok, citing data privacy and security issues.
- October 2020: The U.S. government expresses data privacy concerns, sparking discussions of a potential ban.
- November 2020: A partnership with Oracle and Walmart leads to the creation of TikTok Global to alleviate U.S. security worries.
- 2021: Despite the Indian ban, TikTok’s global user base surpasses 1 billion monthly active users.
- 2021-2022: The platform introduces enhancements like extended video duration and e-commerce features, strengthening its foothold in the market.
- April 2023: TikTok prevails as a dominant player in social media, continuously adapting to cater to the diverse needs and desires of millions of international users, even with the ongoing Indian prohibition.
TikTok Revenue Statistics
In the initial quarter of 2023, TikTok reported earnings of $2.475 billion.
This uptick in revenue is attributed to several elements such as the escalating number of users, the surge in in-app advertising, and TikTok’s foray into additional markets.
TikTok is a favourite among advertisers because it presents a diverse array of advertisement styles like in-feed ads, promoted videos, and brand takeovers. The platform is becoming an essential tool for marketers aiming to engage the younger demographic, which is dedicating an increasing amount of time to TikTok.
In the previous year, 2022, the social media giant boasted a revenue of $9.401 billion, marking an impressive 100% increase from the earnings of 2021.
TikTok Consumer Spending Statistics
TikTok amassed $1 billion in consumer expenditures in the first quarter of 2023, setting a record as the first app ever to exceed this amount in a single quarter.
To date, over $7 billion has been spent by users on the app, making TikTok the second non-gaming application to reach this milestone. In terms of in-app consumer spending, the United States is the leading market for TikTok. During the final quarter of 2022, 37% of the total in-app expenditures originated from American users.
China stands as the second largest source of revenue for TikTok in terms of consumer spending.
Which Country Uses TikTok The Most?
The USA, is the highest user of TikTok with over 150 Million users across the country. However, India was the biggest user of the platform with 200 mIllion users, but was banned from the country in 2020.
The United Kingdom also didn’t quite make the list below with only having 23.38 Million users.
TikTok Users By Age
The predominant age group of TikTok users ranges from 19 to 29, indicating the platform’s immense popularity among younger individuals. As the age bracket increases, the proportion of TikTok users diminishes, with a mere 19% of users aged 39 and above.
TikTok Users By Age and Gender
Women aged 18 to 24 constitute 21% of TikTok’s global user base, whereas men of the same age bracket account for approximately 17.5% of the platform’s audience.
How Much Time Do TikTok Users Spend On The Platform?
Users of TikTok are highly engaged, spending an impressive average of 95 minutes each day on the app. This translates to an average weekly usage of 6.06 hours and a monthly usage of 26 hours. Projected over a lifetime, a user could potentially spend up to 2.3 years on TikTok.
On a daily basis, the average TikTok user accesses the app approximately 9 times!
How Popular Is TikTok Compared To Other Social Media Platforms?
TikTok currently ranks 6th in the world as the most popular social media platform just behind WeChat.
Who Is The Most Followed TikTok User in 2023?
Khaby Lame holds the title as the TikTok creator with the most followers, boasting a following of 155.8 million.
Charlie D’Amelio, who was the reigning top followed individual for 819 days, was surpassed by Khaby Lame on June 22, 2022. D’Amelio now occupies the second position with a follower count of 150.4 million.
How Popular Is TikTok With Younger Generations?
Younger demographics, particularly in the U.S, are highly engaged on TikTok. Users aged 10-19 constitute 25% of the app’s active user base. The distribution of users across different age brackets is as follows:
- Ages 10-19: 25%
- Ages 20-29: 22.4%
- Ages 30-39: 21.7%
- Ages 40-49: 20.3%
- Ages 50+: 11%
UK data mirrors these trends. A report by Statista revealed that 24% of internet users aged 15-25 in the UK were active on TikTok as of 2020, utilizing the platform for content creation and consumption.