What is TikTok? How to get the most from the platform in 2022
What is TikTok?
Whether you know it as TikTok or Douyin, chances are that you’ve at least heard of the mobile app. With an astounding 1 billion active monthly users worldwide, this social media platform certainly isn’t flying under the radar!
TikTok is a relatively new social media platform that allows users to create and share short videos. You can shoot your own videos, or choose from the huge collection of pre-made videos on the app. Then, you can add filters, effects, music, or whatever else you want to help bring your video to life. Once you’re happy with your video, you can share it with all of your friends on TikTok. Alternatively, if you just want to watch videos and not make any of your own, you can do that too! TikTok is free to use, available on both iOS and Android devices, and it offers a wide range of tools to help you create fun and engaging content.
How does TikTok work?
TikTok focuses on ease of use. It’s easy to post content, and the interface is cleanly laid out so you can tell what you’re looking at quickly. But its real innovation is that it gives users a lot of control over what they see in their feed—they can choose the creators they want to watch and turn off the ones they don’t like. TikTok also learns from their viewing habits and curates content for them based on their preferences. Clever, right?
So why would anyone use TikTok?
Well, for one thing, it’s a tonne of fun! Not to mention slightly addictive. You have endless options for what kind of video you can create. TikTok is a great way to connect with people who share similar interests. No matter what type of video you’re interested in; (whether it’s comedy, fashion, or life hacks), you’ll find a whole community of like-minded people who love watching and creating videos just like yours.
Is TikTok better than YouTube?
TikTok’s simple interface makes it easy to learn how to use the app, and its algorithms help people find new content they might like. As a result, many people recognise TikTok as a space for silly videos and fun challenges. But what most people don’t know is that TikTok is also an incredible place to learn about topics ranging from crocheting to cooking to makeup application. We’d argue that learning on TikTok is almost better than YouTube for certain types of content!
YouTube can feel overwhelming in comparison. For example, if you want to learn how to apply blush correctly, you can search “blush” on YouTube and be faced with thousands of options ranging from 5-minute tutorials to 45-minute compilations. On TikTok, however, you can search the same thing and find simple videos that walk you through one step at a time in under 30 seconds!
How to get the most out of your TikTok platform in 2022?
TikTok has exploded in popularity over the past couple of years, and with that explosion has come a bigger explosion of opportunities for brands to reach their target audience. Look at 21-year-old Addison Rae, a Hype House member and one of the most followed TikTok members with a staggering 87.3 million TikTok followers! She probably got her head start by posting lip-syncing videos, but she’s now known for her dancing skills and compilations with famous friends Charli D’Amelio and older sister, Dixie D’Amelio.
Maybe you want to learn how to go viral on TikTok? Are you thinking about getting in on the action? Follow these five simple tips, and you’ll be well on your way to reaping the rewards from this ever-growing platform.
1) Use hashtags and music wisely! TikTok allows you to use up to 30 hashtags per post, so take advantage of this. Hashtags and music can make or break your TikTok posts; if you’re using the right ones, they’ll help your content get in front of more people and potentially go viral. On the other hand, if you’re using the wrong hashtags or music, no one may see your videos at all!
2) It’s also important to do your research before posting a TikTok video, as you need to keep up with the current trends. You must know what’s popular on TikTok right now so you can create content that will be relevant and appealing to your audience.
3) Don’t confuse quantity with quality. We’ve all done it! It’s easy to fall into the trap of thinking that more followers equal more success—but it doesn’t work that way with TikTok influencers. The most engaged users and followers are looking for authentic individuals who offer genuine content, meaning that a smaller following can often be better than a large one on this platform.
4) Identify your target audience. Your first order of business when using TikTok is to establish who it is you are trying to reach. If you don’t do this, your content will be scattered across the board and won’t resonate with anyone. It’s important to know what appeals to your audience before you start posting videos so they understand what they’re looking at when they come across your profile.
5) One of the most important things you can do on TikTok is to be consistent: if you’re going to post once a day, try not to miss your posting schedule. This will help your followers remember to tune in for new content from you and keep them engaged with your brand.
While TikTok may not seem like the most obvious choice for your business’s marketing efforts, you’d be surprised at how many large, successful businesses have leveraged TikTok to achieve excellent results!
Above all else, have fun on TikTok. If you’re having fun, it shows in your videos, which makes it more likely that other people will have fun watching them.